Sunday, September 26, 2021

The Simple Present Tense Exercises

Taprobane Review English Grammar Guide

The Activities Published here can be used for improving your knowledge of The Simple Present Tense sentence pattern. This is one of the most used sentence patterns in the English language. The activities have also been prepared in such a way that they can be easily used in classroom teaching. 

Introduction:

The Simple Present Tense is basically used to speak about habitual actions or things that regularly happens.  

Study how the following sentences have been written in the table -1. When the subject is singular suffixes 's' , 'es'  or 'ies' are added to the verb. 

When the subject is plural the verb remains unchanged; it is used in the base form. Note: verbs are found in the plural form.  


It is wrong to use the verbs in the following way. 

👉  I watches news everyday. ( wrong )

       I watch news everyday.     ( correct )

👉  My friend learn music.     (wrong )

       My friend learns music.    ( correct ) 

👉 People decorates houses for the Vesak. (wrong)

      People decorate houses for the Vesak.   ( correct )

👉 Children plays cricket in their free time. ( wrong )

       Children play cricket in their free time.   (correct) 

How a verb is turned into singular.


Simple Present Exercise
1
Turn the following verbs into singular. 

Simple Present Exercise 2
Underline the correct verb form.
1) Brother__ (watch / watches ) cartoons. 
2) My sister__ (sweep / sweeps) her room every morning.
3) Our cat __ (catch/ catches) mice. 
4) Rizvi ___( like / likes) to eat ice cream. 
5) I ___( help/ helps) my parents. 
6) Dogs __ ( bark / barks) at night. 
7) Boys___ ( work/ works) harder than girls. 
8) My school__ ( starts / start) at 7 a.m. 
9) Kavini and Madushi___( go / goes) to school on foot.
10) Our class teacher___(teach / teaches) us English.  

Simple Present Exercise: 3
Underline the most suitable Subject for the sentence.
1. [ Father / People ] waters the plants every evening. 
2. [ Cats / Our dog ] likes to play with children. 
3. [ My friend / My friends] help me learn music. 
4. [ He / I ] speak English and Tamil very well. 
5. [ My teacher / My teachers ] guides us on the correct path. 
6. [ Sri Lanka / Sri Lankans] celebrate The Independence Day on the 4th of February every year. 
7. [ Mr. Hewage / Mr. Hewage and his wife ] visits Anuradhapura once a year. 
8. [ Nayani / Nayani's sisters ] study in a foreign university. 
9. [ My uncle / My uncles ] helps our family. 
10. [ It / They ] usually rains in May and June.





Simple Present Exercise: 4
Underline the most suitable subject for the sentences.
Simple Present Exercise 5
Write the verbs given within brackets in the correct form: singular or plural. 
1. We ___ ( arrange) our classroom every morning. 
2. Some people ___ ( help ) others in trouble. 
3. Samith __ ( take ) his breakfast before leaving home to school. 
4. Birds ___ ( eat ) fruits and nuts. 
5. Tortoises ___ ( live ) in a shell. 
6. One of my friends ___  ( live ) in Australia. 
7. My brother ___ ( enjoy ) watching cartoons. 
8. I ___ ( use ) the internet to read story books. 
9. Boys ___ ( play ) football and volleyball better than girls. 
10. It usually __ ( rain ) in May and June. 
👉A web novel written by Ruchi Tarin. Simply click on the image below. 👇


Simple Present Exercise 6
OL ENGLISH RESULT ENHANCEMENT PAPERS
👇👇👇 Click Here
👉👉 To be continued. 





No comments:

Post a Comment